Skip to main content
Vaccine Hub offers general information only. Please see a healthcare professional for medical advice.

I was born in China, do I need to be vaccinated to visit home?

As the immunisation schedule for China is different to the National Immunisation Program (NIP) for Australia, you may need to check with your doctor to ensure that you are adequately protected against the diseases at risk within China. This of course will depend on how much time you have spent in Australia before returning to your home country.

It is important to remember that when returning to China, children do not have immunity to local illnesses. Likewise, parents or adults who have lived away from China for a while have declining immunity. Also, the immunisation schedules for China and Australia may be different, so locals may be vaccinated against different diseases. The whole family needs to prepare for a healthy trip ‘home’.

Check the National Immunisation Schedule available here.

Make sure you see a doctor for a travel health consult at least 6 weeks before leaving. If this is not possible, see your doctor as soon as you can.

Find a doctor

Sources & Citations

GOV.UK. Visiting friends and relatives abroad: advice for travellers. Available at: [accessed 14 October 2022]. 

MAT-AU-2202835  Date of preparation October 2022