How long does it take to recover from mumps?
Generally, a case of mumps without complications gets better within two weeks.
- encephalitis (swelling of the brain)
- meningitis (inflammation of the lining of the brain),
- hearing loss
- miscarriage in the first trimester of pregnancy
- inflammation of the testicles (orchitis), ovaries (oophoritis) or breasts (mastitis)
- Male sub-fertility and rarely, infertility.
Sources & Citations
3. Victoria State Government. Better Health Channel. Mumps. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/mumps?viewAsPdf=true (accessed 13 March 2020).
4. Australian Government, Department of Health. The Australian Immunisation Handbook. Mumps. Available at: https://immunisationhandbook.health.gov.au/vaccine-preventable-diseases/mumps (accessed 13 March 2020).
SPANZ.SAPAS.18.04.0135(1) - Date of preparation April 2020Show All