How is polio treated?
There is no specific cure for polio, however your doctor may recommend some treatments to help combat the effects of polio:
- antibiotics – for secondary infections
- pain-relieving medication
- portable ventilators to assist breathing
- medication to reduce muscle spasms
- moderate exercise
- heat treatments
- a nutritious diet.
Sources & Citations
4. Better Health Channel. Polio and post-polio syndrome. Available at: https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/conditionsandtreatments/polio-and-post-polio-syndrome (accessed 07 December 2021).
MAT-AU-2102483 Date of preparation January 2022Show All